Sunday, March 24, 2013

Warning: Addictive Music Below!

Second Warning: There’s lots of it!

Before I got an actual Tumblr account, I would look through other Tumblr blogs, following them through Blogger.  One of my favorites was Disney With Swank.  It was while randomly scrolling through this Tumblr that I first discovered Pogo.

Who is Pogo? you ask.

His real name is Nick Bertke, and what Nick does for a living is remix movies into songs.  He does originals too, but his remixes of movie audio clips, song tracks, sound effects, etc. – he takes all those and makes them into a song – are always amazing!

[If I confused you – “His work consists of recording small sounds from a film or a specific scene, and sequencing the sounds together to form a new piece of music” (Wikipedia).]

And because I love Pogo’s mixes so well – I listen to them as I study – I figured I would share with you my favorites of his Disney-themed ones.  Obviously, he has remixes of many movies outside of Disney, but this is The Disney Freak’s Blog, after all.

Let’s start with the first one I ever heard.  And then in no particular order.

And if you start listening to them on repeat during study time like I do, it’s understandable.  I
expected you to.

Snow White: Fairest of the Remixes

Pogo’s track “Wishery” was the one I stumbled upon in Disney With Swank.  At first, I didn’t quite like it, thinking it was making fun of Snow White or something (lots of people don’t like her voice – I admit, I went through that stage once).  But then I realized the backstory to the track and began to like it.  Love the witch’s cackling at the end!

Video from YouTube.

Alice in Pogoland

Pogo’s track “Alice” was his first ever made!  Though I sometimes listen to it as I study, it’s actually one of my least favorites, mainly because of the low beat, I guess.  But I’m coming to appreciate it!  I especially enjoy how Pogo edited the video to make the movements match the music.

Video from YouTube.

Classic Remixing

Pogo’s track “Bloom” isn’t just of one movie: it’s a remix of classic Disney movies – I agree though, there is a bit of a princess-theme in there.  And I absolutely love the Cheshire Cat’s maniacal laughter towards the end.

Video from YouTube.

A Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious Remix

This is definitely one of my favorites.  I literally have the “words” memorized!  I could listen to it all day.  My absolute favorite part is…well, basically all the parts with Mr. Banks, especially his repeated 6:02 part.  Without further ado, here is Pogo’s track “Expialidocious” from Mary Poppins.

Video from YouTube.

That Doesn’t Even Rhyme!

Here is probably my favorite Pogo track.  Honestly, once I found it on YouTube over the summer, I couldn’t stop listening to it.  I’ve actually been avoiding it because I want to listen to his other tracks instead of just this one.  Simply awesome.  Here’s Pogo’s track “Uplar,” which is actually acknowledged by Disney: “He took part in a project hosted by Disney/Pixar to produce a track based on their film Up” (Wikipedia).

Video from YouTube.

White Pogo Magic

This one just makes me laugh, especially Arthur’s “Duff!” lines.  Here’s Pogo’s track “White Magic,” from The Sword and the Stone.

Video from YouTube.

It’s Aztec Gold!

Last one.  Maybe.

This one actually hasn’t been released officially yet, but someone leaked it onto YouTube, and it’s too good not to share.  I am actually listening to it on repeat right now.  My favorite part would be the repeated “You don’t know what this is, do ya? / It’s Aztec gold!”

I cannot seem to be able to put the video in the post, so here’s the link for Pogo’s “Swashbuckle.”

Two Wizards of Oz

I had to.  I just had to.  I love these two Wizard of Oz remixes too much not to share.  The second one may scar you for life, though.  I think it did for me.

Video from YouTube. The video was the winning entry in a contest for the song.

Video from YouTube. And troll faces were born.

Before you go, here’s some interesting news about a track that isn’t on YouTube: “It is suggested that ‘Ariel’, a The Little Mermaid remix, may be released by Disney to coincide with the release of the film on Blu-ray (Wikipedia).

I hope you enjoyed these tracks from Pogo!  And if you’re interested in his other works, I encourage you to just check out his YouTube channel.  He’s got a track on Cinderella, one on Monsters, Inc., and a few on the Toy Story movies, which I didn’t feature.

ttfn!  And I promise, that second Oz review post will come soon!

2 comments:

  1. What a cool discovery! Amazing that someone can make a living by doing this, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dewey! I couldn't find any info about what else he does, and in his recent video he says that this is his living (he does tours and stuff, so that's where the money comes in). It is amazing! He's been commissioned by Disney several times too:D

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!
I try to respond to every comment, so check back to see my reply. Let's start a conversation!
Thanks again for making my day. <3